The College Careers Team works in compliance with the Careers Development Institute (CDI). Our enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff are fully qualified practitioners and are here to help guide and support you with your future choices, whatever your intended destinations. Your career aspirations are very much at the heart of what we do and we’re on-hand to support you from your early days of transition to College, through your time at Havant and beyond – we will give you the information you need, when you need it. Our careers education programme has been designed to support your academic qualifications with the development of key employability skills that will help you with your application to university or employment. We work closely with our academic staff with a range of tutorial resources and information to complement their teaching.
So, what is employability?
Employability is defined by the Confederation of British Industry as ‘a set of attributes, skills and knowledge that all labour market participants should possess to ensure that they have the capability to be effective in the workplace – to the benefit of themselves, their employer and the wider economy’.
How do we prepare students to become employable?
• We work with the academic staff to embed the skills within the curriculum
• Our events – such as the Higher Education & Employment Fair
• Support with work experience and volunteering
• Academic Enrichment sessions including motivational ex-students as well as degree and industry insights
• Working with employers and universities to encourage the importance of transferable skills
• CV workshops, job applications, networking support
• Helping the students see the importance of labour market information and skills shortages
• Our individual 1-2-1 guidance • And much, much more…
We have held the Matrix Quality Standard since 2004 and Ofsted has recognised the positive impact our service has on students through our recent inspection.
Students value the Careers Team
Quotes from our recent Student Survey include:
“The Careers Team are beyond amazing and always go above and beyond to help me and remain in frequent contact for updates.”
“The Careers Team is great and are incredibly supportive.”
Whether you are aspiring to university, an A Level Training Scheme or progressing directly to employment, the Careers Team is here to support you in achieving your goals.
Our Careers Centre is open daily from 8:30am - 4:30pm (4:00pm Fridays). Careers advice is available on an appointment or drop-in basis.
Resources and support
Essential information about the range of options available including: options for Higher Education, employment, studying abroad as well as gap year opportunities.
Higher Education and Employment Fair
Held annually at the end of September, this event is designed for First and Second Year students. There are representatives from at least 60 universities, gap year companies, representatives from company training schemes, apprenticeship providers and employers.
Open day trips
The Careers Team offers various trips to university open days or you can arrange to attend other open days yourself and we will support with advice.
Higher Education Convention
An annual event held at the University of Portsmouth with 100+ universities and colleges all under one roof.
The Careers Team looks forward to meeting you!
Welcome from the Head of Careers
“I am the Head of Careers at the College – a small, friendly team which aims to ensure that every student feels comfortable in asking for support on an individual basis, whenever they need it. There are a lot of options available for you and we want to make your choices as smooth as possible whilst enabling you to develop the skills needed for your chosen path. We continually reflect on our practice and don’t lose sight of the fact that you are very much at the centre of all we do.”
Sue Holly Head of Careers,
If you would like to talk to a member of the Careers Team, please contact us on 023 92714028 or email email@example.com
How our careers service can help you:
- Before starting College:
- Drop-in careers advice clinic at our Open Evenings
- E-guidance for you and your parents just email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Information, advice and guidance at many of our feeder school events
- While you are here:
- One-to-one careers guidance interviews
- Drop-in clinics
- Careers events, workshops and talks
- Programme of support for applying to university
- CV support
- Apprenticeship and job search support
- Results day advice and guidance service
- Publications and handouts to support you, available on paper and electronically from Moodle
- Interest area-specific blogs to keep students informed
- After you leave:
- Careers support for university applications
- Careers support for CVs and job applications
- E-guidance and phone guidance
- For Parents
- Evening talks on Higher Education and Student Finance